[pianotech] Center Pin Zapper

Poppy Miles poppyspys at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 11:51:44 MST 2010

Hi,
I have been thinking about making a zapper myself, but your email is discouraging. There was a zapper at a shop I  worked at in Boston that seemed to work quite well. It was made by an engineering student for a rebuilder there. I'm wondering if this is the same thing as the doorbell zapper. I certainly don't want to use a tool on any piano that will damage it! I hope that this tool will send a low enough voltage through the pin to slowly iron the bushing. When I used it, it seemed to do just that, and I was able to get 4-6 swings. Please look over my instructions, and let me know if it is similar to what you have built.
Thank you,
Poppy Miles,rpt

components:
Transformer - 6.3 volt @ 10 amps
Resistors - 0.25 ohm @ 15 watts or more
Beeper - 4.5 volt beeper

1) A screw terminal you can just screw down on the wire.
2) To a lug you connect a wire and solder it.
3) Two wires you twist together and solder.

 Wires to your probe should be of heavy electric cord, as heavy as you'd find on a toaster or blow-dryer. Look for it in a hardware store electrical section, where they will have it on reels.

 Power In
1) Connect one side of power cord to one "PRI" lug of transformer (or wire, if it has those instead)
2) Connect other side of power cord to other "PRI" lug (or wire) of transformer

 Power Out
3) Make a chain of the three resistors by their wires, so the current flows through them all, one by one.
4) Connect a wire to one "SEC" lug (or wire) of transformer and run it all the way to one of the probes.
5) Connect the wire of the first resistor to other "SEC" lug (or wire) of transformer.
6) Connect a third wire to the connection you just made, and run it to one of the two lugs or wires on the beeper.
7) Connect a wire to the end of the third resistor and run it to your other probe.
8) Connect a third wire to the connection you just made, and run it to the other lug or wire on the beeper.