[pianotech] Cleaning Soundboard Etc.

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 11:18:19 MST 2010

http://www.ssww.com/store/product/sku=AB3627/cmc=BRWSCMBAPPSBR/grp=CMB/sbgrp
=APP/ln=SBR/sort=sales/p=1/  Something similar to this is kind of nice to
get in and around the tuning pin area.  I like a fairly stiff yet, soft
brush.

I use a rubber coated sound board cleaning tool with a soft rag.  I mix a
very MILD amount of ammonia in water for the cleaner.  By mild, I mean, half
a bucket full of water and maybe a capful of ammonia or so.  A little bit
stronger for tougher cleaning jobs.

I blow it out first, gently sending the dust to the edges of the piano where
I suck it up prior to washing.  Make sure that while you are pushing the
cloth around under the strings that you do not accidentally knock a hole
through it or you can scratch the sound board.