[pianotech] 'Re: Cleaning Soundboards

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 10:40:23 MST 2010

Marty said: "I'm looking for some suggestions regarding the cleaning of a Grand Piano. ( Soundboard, strings, felts etc.) The Piano is a Steinway Grand that was in storage for several yrs. I assume the best way to get under the strings is with a cleaning steel. Is it necessary to remove the lid to do this effectively? I have not been involved in any serious cleaning of the soundboard so I would be very appreciative of any "hints" that can help me do a good job.

Thank You"

Marty,
Short answer visit Spurlock's Web site. Long answer: if you get the new plastic coated soundboard steel, you can access most areas. No, the lid does not have to come off, unless you have short arms.<G>
A handy adjunct for your vacuum is the "computer vacuuming accessories". They are miniture versions of the standard vacuum accessories. Also, I suggest getting a few paint brushes. Like Kindergarten paint brushes, made for water colors. They're cheap w/long stiff bristles. Good for cleaning around tuning pins, etc. Make sure your vacuum can be put on blow as well as suck.
Regards,

joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police