[pianotech] Cleaning Soundboard Etc.

martin cipolla pianodoctor at msn.com
Wed Mar 3 09:50:52 MST 2010

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding the cleaning of a Grand Piano. ( Soundboard, strings, felts etc.)  The Piano is a Steinway Grand that was in storage for several yrs.  I assume the best way to get under the strings is with a cleaning steel.  Is it necessary to remove the lid to do this effectively?   I have not been involved in any serious cleaning of the soundboard so I would be very appreciative of any "hints" that can help me do a good job.

Thank You
Marty