[pianotech] String Breakage

pgmilkie at juno.com pgmilkie at juno.com
Tue Mar 2 22:21:45 MST 2010

---------- Original Message ----------

> I've had a lot of P22's break bass strings.? Specifically A1 (string #13).? I spliced two of them (not easy to do since there is only about 1 inch between the top speaking termination point and the tuning pin.)? And I think a year or two later the splices broke.? I figured it was the severe angle of the string coming off the coil.? On some I've seen the string overlapping the coil.?
>
> It makes me cringe every time I tune that note on any P22

Release the tention of the string and take the coil off the tuning pin, unwind the pin until you see 1/4 inch of threads on the tuning pin, put the coil back on the tuning pin and pull it up to pitch.
If you look at newer P22s this is what you will see "the tuning pin on A1 has been turned out so the threads are showing"
After having many A1 strings break, this is the only sure way I have found to tune the string without it breaking. Most of the time I find the coil to close to the plate. This is a huge red flag for me after so many have broke. If a string breaks I will  tie it.

Paul Milkie

Nutrition
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=aqqWpSfw31dZlEvCjSepkAAAJ1ButuDroy30iobj4ZCrBRnSAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASQwAAAAA=