[pianotech] String Breakage

Garret Traylor hpp at highpointpiano.com
Tue Mar 2 15:48:31 MST 2010

Hi Matthew,
Try a little different technique.  For me, every time I service a piano that
I am not familiar with, I always bump or lower the pitch of each string just
barely and then go up for the target as lightly above and down.  This
technique will save you more times than not.  Pulling up from a static
position just seems to break more strings, particularly if they have not
been tuned in a while.  P22's do have their own particular issues as other
have pointed out.
Kindest Regards,
Garret