[pianotech] found it was hammer return noise

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 1 23:19:46 MST 2010

Yamaha's procedure for rep height is the feel of the jack vs. rep window.   Rub your finger across a piece of paper on a flat surface and you have the feel.   Hold down neighboring wippens, rub finger across rep lever and adjust height until you have the that feel of an edge.   Yamaha doesn't think it is that important in the regulation procedure, i.e. seeing if the jack gets back under etc.   They want that jack nearly even with the top of rep lever.   Good tip, Ed.   I'm going to make some adjustments on some pianos and see if I can get noise reduction...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044