[pianotech] hammer return noise

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Mar 1 22:52:36 MST 2010

Gene,
 I serviced a 15 year old Wurlie-Samick 5' grand today that had very little wear and LOTS of action noise.On a sample note to demonstrate -sell a day of service I did the following.Tightened both action screws and action rail to bracket screws. Adjusted lettoff ,drop and blow for appropriate aftertouch .
 Weakened a jerky -too strong rep spring, adjusted jack to knuckle position and "winked" the hammer with the returning jack with a more pronounced wink than I usually adjust for. Sugar coated the knuckle leather with shallow needling and made a few passes with the needle  laterally through the knuckle core. Keys were not pully. I did not work on the whippen cushion or jack regulating punching and left my teflon powder in the shop so I was unable to lube the knuckle.
 Action noise was dramatically reduced and with further attention I would expect the action to be even quieter .
 I was thinking of this thread and in combination these adjustments solved a symptom such as you have described.
I believe the rock hard knuckle condition and the jack regulating punching slamming into the spoon from too far away were the main culprits here.
With one note adjusted and it's neighbor still click and clacking the comparison sold the job.
Tom Driscoll    R.P.Tired