[pianotech] Tuning with distractions

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Mar 1 21:43:07 MST 2010

Forget about the birds.

1) How about a retirement home with the piano in the hallway and in the
next room, which was an - open - foyer setup, the people having a
program rehearsal complete with singing, tambourine and various
assortment of other retiree band noise makers - tom-tom, triangle,
maracas, gourds with the beads around it, etc. (I wonder how they liked
me pounding on the notes so I could hear the tuning.)

2) The home has a "great room" setup, the piano is in the living room,
the grandparents are at the dining room table talking up a blue streak
as well as on the phone - and - last be not least - the grand kids are
all over the house playing with their toys and at various times yelling
in to the dining room, from their bedroom, to the grandparents and them
yelling back. And, of course, yelling to the kids when they were in the
basement.

3) Oh, yes, and then there was the extreme noises - and - harmonics -
from an old combo air conditioner / furnace. The motors' loud buzz, the
duct work ticking, you know the drill. This one even had fluttering
shutters.

4) Last be not least, very low ceiling fans that - can't - be turned off
(otherwise the lights go out) - causing vibrato effects of the notes.

Good thing I had my Cybertuner - otherwise ...........

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years