[pianotech] Gluing Damper Felt

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Mar 1 14:19:37 MST 2010

Steven,

As some others have suggested, I do grand dampers in the piano.  But I'd add
a step.  Before gluing on the felts, I use a block that simulates the
thickness of the damper felt to rest under the damper heads on the strings,
and roughly time all the dampers, sans felt.  Then I regulate the damper
wire bends, getting them nice and square with the strings.  Then, install
the felts with hot hide; the heads clamp and align the dampers.  This way,
when the felts are glued in, they end up with a nice even overhang on either
side of the head, and are about 90% regulated.  Some minor tweaking for
bleeders follows, but it is very minimal.  Neat method I learned from a guy
who has done a bazillion (maybe a bazillion and one) sets of dampers.
William R. Monroe