[pianotech] Tuning with birds

Norman Dutton duttonpiano at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 10:59:00 MST 2010

As an infrequent participant, I'll reintroduce myself: My name is Norm
Dutton, and I'm Dave Ilvedson's "not so newbie" apprentice. I have an
odd experience to tell about.

I recently tuned a Wurlitzer console for a couple who were referred to
me by Dave. They had a large bird cage, about 4' high, right next to the
piano, with two songbirds in it. It was close enough that the birds were
getting birdseed into the keyboard, which I had to clean out (they have
since moved the bird cage). Before firing up the vacuum cleaner, I asked
the people if the birds were okay with the noise of the vacuum, and they
said the birds would be fine. I kept an eye on them, and they seemed
fine while I vacuumed. Then I tuned the piano. For a while the birds
sang along, which was annoying, but not too distracting. I was grateful
when they stopped singing, but didn't really pay attention at the time.
After I was packed and ready to go, I turned to say goodbye to the birds
and noticed one of them lying face down on the bottom of the cage! The
bird died. Fortunately, the people don't blame me for the bird's death.
It's a bit of a mystery.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Norman Dutton
PTG Associate Member