[pianotech] hammer return noise

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Mon Mar 1 11:18:25 MST 2010

Gene -
considering all you have done and described, it sounds to me to be a
materials issue: the physical characteristics (density, resilience etc)
of the soft components which come into play as the key and hammer
return to their original position.  The knuckles, wippen heel cloth and
the back rail cloth are probably on the firm/hard/non-resilient side.
I find this not uncommon in Asian actions, even when new but especially
after several years.

I think by exchanging parts you will be able to determine where the
problem is coming from.

You already stated you will exchange some sample shanks and wips.

Is is possible to isolate the key by lifting the hammer and putting
some lead on the end of the key?  Then you might be able to tell if it
is the the key which makes the noise by slapping down on the back rail
cloth.  Sometimes, a layered back rail cloth can be quieter - you may
consider that if this is the source of the noise.

regards,

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply