[pianotech] hammer return noise

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Mon Mar 1 10:20:53 MST 2010

From: "jimialeggio" <jimialeggio at gmail.com>

> Gene,
>
> I had a similar problem with a hammer rest rail.
>
> What thickness and density felt are on the rail?.
>
> As well, a slight looses-ness of this rail, even if the screws are tight,
> would project throughout the whole keys board. Is there some slight
> shimming that needs to added under one or more of the  the hammer rest
> rail screws. What is the rail material?
> Jim I

The rest rail felt is thick but not very dense. The hammer return noise
happens when the hammer is raised only 10 to 15 mm above the rest position.
It does not touch the rest rail when released from this small distance but
it will get the noise.
The rail is wood with a mounting screw embeded into the whippen rail at each
section near the action brackets. All appears to be solid.
Gene