[pianotech] Tool for Wood Selection at Lumberyard

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jun 30 14:42:25 MDT 2010

I will be inspecting a fairly large pile of Sitka Spruce for purchase
in a couple weeks. I'm seeking suggestions for a good tool(s) to bring
with me so that I can examine the wood characteristics. Typically the
spruce lumber is rough cut and in pieces approximately 2" by 9" by 12
to 20 feet long. They are stacked in bins so that you can really only
inspect one of the 2" x 9" ends. I'll likely be purchasing about 1,000
bd.-ft.

I need a tool that can clean up (grind/shave) the rough endgrain so
that I can see the annular rings. I've used a small hand plane in the
past, but it's rough planing end grain and often I can't even get the
darn plane on the end of a board that is set in a little further than
the one above and/or below. A tiny belt sander about 1" x 4" might
work quite well - don't know of any that small though. Cordless would
be good also. Is there any kind of small plane or other tool that
would work for me? Any suggestions would be appreciated (well,
constructive suggestions that is.....).

I'm hoping that this time after I select lumber candidates I can re-
inspect the lumber after a couple days - after they've pulled my
selected lumber. Then I would like to spot check the face of the board
for defects - pitch pockets, etc. - and again, I will need some sort
of tool to clean up the rough surface to inspect it. Sure, I could
take a belt sander to it, but I'm not sure the lumber yard would like
that if I were to reject it. Maybe for the face a good hand plane
would be the ticket - I've got a nice smoothing plane with a curved
blade that won't gouge the wood - maybe that would be best. Any other
ideas?

Thanks!

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano, Inc.