[pianotech] Raising rates in recession

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 20:49:57 MDT 2010

Wally

In April I actually dropped my rate from $115 to $85, to be more in line with the other tuners. But I explain that $85 is my "basic" fee, and is only for tuning. Then I tell them that my "full service" tuning fee is $115, (which used to be my basic fee), but includes minor repairs and minor pitch adjustments and regulation. For my regular customers, I charge the basic, if all Ii do is tune. But I do sell extra's like rust blocker, and maybe try to sell them on cleaning and polishing the case. For new customers, I tell them I have to see the piano before I can tell them what the fee will be, but the lower rate at least gets me in the door.

I had to do this because my business was down about 30% from the previous year. I had to do something to get customers. It's starting to turn around. but I'm planning on staying at the "basic" fee for at least another 6 months. I'll see what the economy is doing by then before make a decision as to whether I'll go back up to my "normal" fee.

Wim