[pianotech] WNG Parts Question

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 23 18:03:01 MDT 2010

Hey Nick:

I worked my way up into the treble today adjusting the rep springs.  My
technique has gotten better, and while it is still slower than the usual
butterfly spring protocol, I am learning and getting better at it.  I have
found that as the spring diameter narrowed and seemed a closer match to what
it is lifting, adjustment seemed more "normal" and less hair trigger
compared to the lower notes where the springs way overpowered everything.  I
haven't massaged them yet, I figured I wanted to try to get my feet under me
before I resorted to those kinds of measures.

Yes, I have been experimenting with some of them repining the rep lever post
center, up around 10 to 12 grams, and it does seem to improve things where
you get the repetition without too strong a kick of the hammer.

You are right that the hair trigger from too weak to too strong is there.  I
found that popping the spring out of its slot and letting it rise up the
side but not pulling it up was often enough to give back what we wanted.

When I hung this set of hammers, I played it both ways.  I did ream the
heads on some as well as sand the tips of the shanks.  I mostly sanded the
tips, because this was where the problems were - the tip might be . 002 or
.003 larger than the tube.  Probably a result of cutting off the tube by the
maker.  Mark Burgett said they are now doing that sanding for us.

The torsional stiffness is not a problem for me - just an observation.

I am using the WNG back checks.  I don't think it's difficult, just
different.  The angle that the back check should be at in relation to the
hammer tail is very exact - in part because the head is so much smaller so
there is less vertical surface to contact, but also because the precise
angle is what is needed to give you good checking.  But, if the back checks
have been located properly and to the correct height, and then bent
precisely, it checks very, very well.  Especially on soft blows.  I did
rough my tails a tad.  The soft maple tails were just a bit too smooth for
my liking.  I can't speak to his problems on the AA.

Thanks for your further comments.

Will