[pianotech] WNG Action parts

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Wed Jun 23 07:00:02 MDT 2010

Peter  Schikele in his persona of P.D.Q Bach uses a whirled hose in one of
his pieces. I will need to check which.

Some years ago houses in my street got new roughcast (a coating on top of
brickwork, not sure what it's call in the US).  It was autumn and breezy
and the wind produced lovely eerie notes,  blowing across the tops of the
tubular scaffold poles of various lengths.

Best regards,

David Boyce

>I remember long ago, plugging a ribbed hose into a vacuum
>cleaner and turning it on. As the motor ginned up, the hose
>began to speak, the pitch climbing through a near lethal
>decibel level partial sequence that had me flailing at the
>switch almost immediately. More recently a ribbed hose was
>marketed as a "Floogle". You held one end, and whirled it. The
>faster you whirled, the higher the pitch climbed. There's your
>difference. Keen toy though, if you're as easily amused as I
>am. <G>

Ron N