[pianotech] WNG Parts Question

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 23 04:11:43 MDT 2010

Hi David:

I shared my experience with Mark Burgett at WNG a little while ago.  My
parts were from an early production run, and he said they were aware of
those issues and had addressed them by making changes in their production
processes.  At this point, I am content to take him at his word.  Each of
the problems were on a very few of the parts.

As for hammer hanging, they changed the drill bit from 2.7 mm.  to 2.8 mm
and went to a very slow setting CA glue.  My experience with the glues were
that the looser heads were much easier to control in the gluing process
because of a longer grab time.   This change was in response to issues that
techs had reported to them in the field with gluing on hammer heads.

The attraction to me has been twofold:  The nylon composite makes them
non-reactive to moisture.  Here in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire, you
slam into both extremes of the humidity spectrum, so that's a plus.

Secondly, the modularity of the parts is attractive - the moveable and
differently sized capstan heels, and same for knuckle size and location.  If
one is trying to set up an idealized action in rebuilding, the flexibility
is obviously attractive.

Overall, I have found the quality of the parts to be as good or better than
what we are getting from other suppliers.  I haven't used Renner parts for
years due to quality issues.  Tokiwa and Abel are good but not perfect - no
one is.

>From my experience with the rep springs and the comments of others, it seems
like the springs remain an issue that they need to further dial in.  And the
back check kit needs a lot of improvement to be as flexible in application
as we rebuilders need.  Most of my shop action jigs are 4th or 5th
generation designed to be as adjustable as possible, and are much better at
meeting those goals than the WNG kit.

Will