[pianotech] WNG Parts Question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 22 23:46:21 MDT 2010

Nicholas Gravagne wrote:
> Ron, you are known for having many fine ideas and interesting
> perspectives, but this one of a "third tuned duplex" via hollow WNG
> shanks strikes me as particularly brilliant! A crack marketing
> department could go wild with something like this.

Naw, man. We don't got no cracks in our marketing department.

> For example, not only would this be a third duplex, but a variable one
> as well. The faster and harder the notes are played, the higher would be
> the whistling pitches! "Be the first on your block to own an
> Acousto-Action!"

Hmmm. Concept alert! Blowing across the top of the Coke bottle
(and you're old enough to relate) only produces one pitch,
whatever the air velocity. Pan pipes.

> But first, we would have to run the acoustic physics on "closed end --
> open end" tube phenomenon. We should get on this right now --- could
> easily have it ready for Vegas. <G>

  I remember long ago, plugging a ribbed hose into a vacuum
cleaner and turning it on. As the motor ginned up, the hose
began to speak, the pitch climbing through a near lethal
decibel level partial sequence that had me flailing at the
switch almost immediately. More recently a ribbed hose was
marketed as a "Floogle". You held one end, and whirled it. The
faster you whirled, the higher the pitch climbed. There's your
difference. Keen toy though, if you're as easily amused as I
am. <G>

Ron N