[pianotech] Reconditioning - Dealing with excess friction in action centers

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sun Jun 20 21:07:45 MDT 2010

A number of the mid-sized pianos I service, built during the '60s and '70s, have excess
friction in the pinning of the hammer flanges.  It has been suggested to me in the past that
it's a good idea to treat them with a methanol/water mix and dry them over a heat source
before giving attention to individual flanges.  I've been using 85% methanol/15% water, and
inverting the partly disassembled action over a damppchaser dehumidifier bar.  I've also read
that treatment the methanol/water mixture increases the capacity of the bushing cloth to respond
well to mechanical sizing strategies--in my case, the Manino flange bushing broach approach.
Two questions:
1.  I am pleased with the result I get, but am looking for any efficiencies I can find.  In your
experience, does the use of the meth/water sizing solution lay a helpful foundation for a more
consistent end result?
2.  Tomorrow I pick up a 1965 Steinway Sheration 4510 upright with very sluggish flanges.
Am I going to be dealing with anything different here?  When were the "verdigris" years?
Thanks for any feedback you might give!
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter