[pianotech] Low humidity ok ?

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 20 11:54:22 MDT 2010

Hi Alan,

My hygrometer was registering in late January, 17 % RH and less before she
put the humidfier in place.   Afterward, I was registering 35 % - 45 %.
Dependant upon how cold it was outside and how much fire they had stoked in
their pot belly stove.  I only tuned it in January so I don't know what the
RH was in the summer but if it is like everywhere is in Michigan, it'll be
all over the map.  When I returned to tune it each January, the piano was
always a little sharp about 442.  This tells me it was getting more humidity
than it was dryness.

There was a pot belly fire stove in the corner of the house within 6 feet or
so of the piano which they used to heat the whole room.  No other heating
units were installed in that room.  She chose and I accepted that as a wise
choice in this case, to set the humidifier right next to the piano between
IT and the stove.  It seems to have worked well for all of these years
blasting pretty much full tilt all day long during the winter months.

I have another client that has base board heating that runs along side of
each wall and of course also directly behind the piano.  I recommended that
she place a piece of plexiglas the size of the piano behind it to at least
try and divert the heat in that area.  The heat seems to now be diverted to
the sides and upwards to the ceiling more so than at the backside of the
sounding board.  Unfortunately, there is no other place to put the piano.
That seems to have helped a lot so far.  At least, it is better than
nothing.

Jer