[pianotech] 50 pianos in NYC

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 10:06:35 MDT 2010

I just read a short article in today's newspaper stating that 50 pianos will be
laced around New York City for the public to play whenever they felt like it.
ounds like fun. I was just wondering if any NYC techs know where the pianos
ill be coming from (brands) and who will be tuning them (I assume several
echs). Just curious.

I don't know who's going to tune them, but they will certainly need to be tuned many times the first couple of years, not so much because they are being played often, or be subjected to environmental challenges, but because they were painted many different colors. I sold a console piano to a customer once and when I got to her house three weeks later to give her her free tuning, she had "decorated" the piano. It was painted white, and she hand painted a blue and red scarf hanging over the top, paint brushes on the scarf, and other things. There was even a mouse hole at the bottom. It was quite attractive, actually. But then she called me several weeks later to complain that the piano had gone out of tune. With all the moisture of the paint, it took about two years for the piano to get stabilized.

In an other situation, when I got to the choir room of a large church, spread on the floor from one end of the choir room to the other was a banner 3' wide and 50' long, painted with all sorts of religious slogans. (It was a Fundamental Christian Church).  The kids had done the work the night before. I tuned the piano, but then the choir director called me several days later to complain that the piano was out of tune. The moisture of the paint had effected the piano.

Wim

I just read a short article in today's newspaper stating that 50 pianos will be
laced around New York City for the public to play whenever they felt like it.
ounds like fun. I was just wondering if any NYC techs know where the pianos
ill be coming from (brands) and who will be tuning them (I assume several
echs). Just curious.
Here's a link to more info and maps of their locations: http://www.streetpianos.com/nyc2010/
ote that this website says 60 pianos rather than 50 as the newspaper article
ays.
A FINE TUNE - Piano Tuning & Repairs
allace T. Scherer, piano technician, music educator
020 Canal Drive, Lake Worth, Florida, 33463-8014
elephone: 561-432-4121
eb page: http://aftune.angelfire.com
REE TICKETS: http://aftune.angelfire.com/freetics.html