[pianotech] HTML coding in archives

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jun 17 10:22:10 MDT 2010

Porritt, David wrote:
> David Skolnik wrote:  "Also, what is it that's limited by
> the exclusive use of plain text?  Thanks"
>
> What I miss in plain text (like this) is the ability to
> more obviously separate what you wrote from what I'm
> writing.

That seems to be an artifact of the mail program. Thunderbird,
for instance, adds a chevron to the beginning of the quoted
text - each line. Others add a vertical bar, where some don't
differentiate. With those, it's tough to separate posts. The
mail program is also responsible for wrapping lines. Yours,
for instance, makes one long line of the quoted text when I
reply. So I rewrap before replying. No problem.

>Except for the
> problem with the archive I don't see any reason to avoid
> HTML and the formatting, color, inclusion of charts and
> diagrams certainly favors HTML.

As I noted. I've posted a number of photos, drawings, whatever
in plain text messages. If it's a problem for anyone, they
haven't mentioned it.

I'm also wondering what the HTML problem in the archives is
about. I pull up the archives and see text. At the bottom, it
says an HTML attachment was scrubbed. How is this a problem?

Confused again,
Ron N