[pianotech] HTML coding in archives

Andy Rudoff andy at rudoff.com
Thu Jun 17 06:43:55 MDT 2010

> If most people don't post in plain text I guess I have to wonder why the
> archives are set up the way they are.

This is an excellent question.  Here's the answer: the freeware we use for
running pianotech hasn't kept up with changing times.  It is non-trivial to
support HTML email in the archives, because the HTML has to be "cleaned" of
any potentially harmful elements.  When Mailman was written, that cleaning
process was not well understood.  But today, most of the email readers and
web browsers you use will filter out the dangerous stuff (or at least try
to).  Mailman, however, still doesn't have the capability to safely expose
HTML in the archives or digests.

The solution is to either switch mailing list software, or augment it with
something more modern.  The ECC talked about it and decided to try
augmenting our mailing lists with a web-based forum.  Jim Moy stepped up and
prototyped this for us and the results were quite good.  With Jim's work, a
list would go both to Mailman and to a web forum and the web forum is fully
capable of displaying HTML.

But we haven't rolled this out for public use yet because a second solution
is also in the works.  The second solution uses commercial software, chosen
by the board and home office, which is designed for organizations such as
PTG.  I don't know much about it but other professional organizations I'm in
use solutions like these and they tie forums into membership databases,
conference registration, etc.

I know the formatting in the archives and the digests is annoying, and the
lack of a web-based forum interface is overdue.  But more modern solutions
are in the works, so stay tuned.

-andy