[pianotech] Player system on Steinway B

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:00:56 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM, martin cipolla <pianodoctor at msn.com> wrote:

> I have a client looking at a Pre-Owned Steinway B model.  He is concerned
> that the value of the piano may be negatively affected by the fact that a
> Player system has been added to the piano.  My experience has been that
> adding after market player systems affects to some degree the action of the
> piano.  (ie less key travel)  I cant picture having holes drilled into the
> piano does it any good either.  On one instance, I noticed part of the Leg
> of a grand was removed to make room for the solenoids.  I don't want to
> mislead my client so I am asking for some input from all the experience that
> is on this list.  How do you feel about aftermarket player systems on a
> classic piano like the Steinway B?
>
> I appreciate your input.
> Marty
>
> ------------------------------
> inbox. Learn more.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1>

Hi Marty,

I have worked on pianos that have had poorly installed systems & well
installed systems, the difference is atonishing.

If the install was done by the tech who only installs the player
systems(isn't a piano technician) look out! Their major concern is getting
the player functioning properly, not the piano.

However if it was installed by a piano tech with some experience, it may be
a very carefully installed system that not only functions well as a player
but left the integrity of the piano intact.

FYI I have seen several factory installs that were also well done.

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service