[pianotech] need advice for plain wire section on a S&S Upr (1880)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 15 11:52:49 MDT 2010

pnotnr at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> I wasn't intending to rescale the piano when I started this project.
> And I'm guilty of simply making a pattern of the bass strings and taking
> just the measurements the string maker asked for without any evaluation
> on my part.

Ok, got it.

> What caught my attention was that the plain wire sizes seemed smaller
> then what I see on most instruments this size (54" upright).  And there
> are so many new replacement strings, and broken strings and missing
> strings that I figure this piano has been mistreated for decades.

It probably has. That's a pretty funky plain wire scale.

  > I came up with the tension for the treble by simply
putting the plain
> wire info into the program without any bass info,

Yea, I get the plain wire stuff. How did you determine the
tension and break% of those bottom three notes you mentioned
without measurement of the bass strings? That's what confused me.

Realistically, a scale ought to be evaluated intact. Looking
at the entire scale tells you where the tension
discontinuities are and how extreme they are. Evaluating just
the wrapped, or just the plain strings doesn't give you much
of a clue as to how they'll work together in the piano. You
really ought to revise the entire scale, or hire it done, as a
unit.
Ron N