[pianotech] Wearing Earplugs while flying

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Mon Jun 14 04:52:44 MDT 2010

Diane,
I have have very good luck with a product called Earplanes.  They are ear plugs with ceramic pressure regulator of sorts. Only caveat is to be sure you don't talk them out of your ears until the cabin doors open. When pressures are totally equalized.
>From the website:
Relieves Air Pressure Discomfort and Harsh Noises. Safe,
Soft, DisposableMade of Soft Hypoallergenic Silicone. This Pack
 Contains One Pair of Disposable Earplanes Good For One Round-Trip
Flight. Also Great For Mountain DrivingNoise Reduction Rating:
20 Decibels When Used As Directed. The Range of Noise Reduction Ratings
For Existing Hearing Protectors Is Approximately 0 to 30. (Higher
Numbers Denote Greater Effectiveness.)
You can purchase them from WalMart for about $5./pair.

Best,
Gerry Cousins
West Chester University of PA

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:33:59 -0700
Re: [pianotech] Wearing Earplugs while flying

Diane, I don’t think the
earplugs would affect this one.  The eardrum was simply being compressed
 slowly by the changing altitude, I suspect. But I do wear earplugs
 when flying.  Depending on the plane and seat location, the noise can
be up there in the high 80 dB range.  Plus the loud announcement
speakers and slamming of overhead bins.  My dB meter measured 98db peak
on the overhead bin slamming. Also, I arrive at my destination feeling more relaxed
 and less tired if I have had my ears plugged.  I don’t usually use foam
 plugs, though, but use in-ear noise cancelling headphones.  As long as
they are turned off most airlines are OK with them.  Only Alaska has
given me trouble about them. Don Mannino, traveling tooner