[pianotech] Weaver spinet

Andrew Remillard anrpiano at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 07:02:40 MDT 2010

Jack,

Thank-you so much. You got me onto my back and the problem became very
clear. The lifter contacts the wippen too close to the pivot point of the
wippen/flange, losing much of its leverage; accounting for (at least to my
initial summation) the bizarre DW and UW.

This design has a certain elegant logic to them. For the most part the
rocker arms create a key which has a balance point corresponding to the
balance hole of the key. So if that was an objective of the design, they
certainly succeeded. I think, though, the design contains an excessive
amount of inertia with all of that weight hanging off the end.

Now to the solution. You said "bend the studs". They appear to be large
round head screws and I am not sure if bending them is feasible without
breaking wooden blocks they are screwed into. We will pull the action and
dismantle the bottom support apparatus and experiment around a bit to find
the most feasible location. Another possible solution maybe to build the
bottom of the wippens up some, this will allow the rocker arms to be
regulated back some, which will also change the contact point.

There also is a lot of slide to the contact, I can't think of any solution
to this problem yet.

I appreciate the help you and Floyd provided. With the sales of new pianos
falling through the floor for the past several years, I think it is becoming
ever more important to save these older pianos and that may mean fixing
design flaws.

Andrew