[pianotech] Brass Rail Repair Questions

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Sun Jun 6 10:38:11 MDT 2010

With a good quality instrument, and only a couple gone, I usually go with repair flanges.

But at other times I use the repair clips, to save having to remove the complete rail.

Question 1 How do you travel the odd one that doesn't track straight?
It doesn't seem right you should have to change the clip.
Just had a thought, I suppose if it was a twisting force that broke it, maybe the rail is twisted, it wouldn't take much.

Question 2 The screws from the broken one, don't seem to quite fit, after the first couple of threads.

Where does one get a small tap?

The replacement screws from Schaff have the proper thread, but the head is the wrong shape to fit in the tapered hole, and is too long.

I cut them off, but we should be able to get the right one. APSCO carried them.

John Ross