[pianotech] Hammer Flange Friction

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Jun 4 15:56:03 MDT 2010

In a message dated 6/4/2010 4:30:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
donmannino at ca.rr.com writes:

Paul,
3  reasons off the top of my head:
1.  The hammer head control tends to be better, less fishtailing.  In
uprights the jack contact point is very close to the hammer butt center, and
stress on the center is high.  The motion of the hammer mass is also in a
different direction compared to the jack’s force.  So a more firmly  controlled
center tends to improve the tone.
Yes

2. Hammer springs can be strong in many upright  pianos, and they return
the hammer too fast in many cases.  This can  reduce the repetition rate by
getting in the way of good jack return. If the  jack spring is strong and
hammer return is a little slowed, then the jack can  reset without the wippen
having to drop all the way to  rest.
This is the reasoning that I had and I have to  admit that it is only
intuitive, not measured reasoning.

3. Setting the hammer friction at 6 – 8 grams can  induce enough damping
factor to reduce hammer bounce, which also improves the  consistency of
repetition.
Do these fit in OK with your  ideas?
Yes, as I said above. Number 2 is primary, I think.  Jack return...

Thanks, Don.

Paul

Don Mannino (from London,  ON)