[pianotech] advertising

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jun 4 14:28:03 MDT 2010

As a "VERY GREEN" RPT in my previous somewhat rural area, I ran a coupon
in the local paper for pretty cheap, and was new to the area.  Not knowing
what would happen, given that the coupon was for $XX dollars for a
tuning...NOT $XX amount off a tuning, I was bombarded with business.  The
downside, you might have now figured out, was that the pianos were
horrible, not tuned for many years, and I had to eat a lot of lost income,
due to poor wording in the ad. Most of them were not interested in getting
their pianos really running, but the cheap tuning was all they wanted.  2
or 3 of them, I had to just plain turn down as they were too nasty to
touch!

Later, I put a more thoughtful "coupon" for $XX amount off a tuning, and
it was a little bit better, but I never got new customers with nice
pianos...just more junk. My best customers were and are ALWAYS word of
mouth, and I later ended up with the lion's share of the better pianos in
the area.  Sadly in my previous area, there weren't many high quality
pianos to service.  That's why I became a CAUT.

Now, here in Nebraska, I get calls all the time from outside people.  The
nice thing is that after finding out what's up with their pianos, can
either take them, or refer them off to other techs.  I must admit that I
don't feel much like tuning after work, so it better be a really nice
piano. I really only tune for faculty and the chancellors and deans, who
have very nice pianos.  One in particular is a new 9'2" Bluthner about 100
miles away!  Why? I can take a vacation day, make nearly twice my normal
rate, and love the customer and the day off my usual stuff here at
UNL...great money for a day off and a get out of the office kind of day.
They always give me a couple other tunings in the area, and now have
several other really nice grands to work on while I'm there, so  it's all
GOOD!  We're not overloaded with RPT's in NE, so people are willing to pay
if they are guaranteed a great technician (not to blow my own horn), but
most of the other great techs here don't like to drive that far and I used
to drive that far daily for this sort of "fix")

Be careful what you wish for, as it will most likely backfire!

Good luck with the ad, but you might consider asking for referrals after
every tuning. It's free and you'll get better customers from it.

Best,
Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music