[pianotech] Hammer Flange Friction

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 4 07:20:36 MDT 2010

It's hard to be sure, but most likely the wool fibers have been packed into
an unstable position by the swelling / shrinking process, and when you work
the parts the fibers are moving a little out of their packed-down positions,
thereby adding pressure on the pin.

I would suggest that easing the hammer center friction may not be the best
answer to better performance in this case.  I am not familiar with the
particular action you mentioned, so forgive me if it is an especially
non-standard design, but most vertical actions perform better with the
hammers a little on the snug side.  If you are not getting good key return,
the hammers should not be the part that does it for you.

Look to the spoon / damper lever felt for excess friction, and of course
wippen flange and capstan.   If the notes return better with the damper
pedal down, it is likely the damper lever felts and spoons.  If the key
return is worse with the pedal down, it is likely the wippen flanges or
capstan friction / worn cushions slowing things down.  Or of course simply
insufficient weight at the back of the key as you alluded to.

Don Mannino