[pianotech] Reamer question

Michael Staples mastaples at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 18:25:14 MDT 2010

I'm repinning/restringing a 5' 3" Hardman grand due to jumpy/loose pins.
The original fully fitted 5 ply pinblock has 1/0 pins and has clearly been
doped but looks sound with no significant cracks top or bottom and no
delamination.  Is reaming and repinning with larger pins a reasonable fix
for this pinblock?  That is, do I have a good chance of reaming past the
dope to good wood?  If so, what size reamer and pins are recommended in this
case?

Thank you,

Michael Staples
PTG Associate member