[pianotech] Need help with TransTint

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 08:19:55 MDT 2010

Chuck,

A second though comes to mind after reading the supplier's comment about
adding shellac.

Transtint is also useful in many top coats as a toner. It can be used to
give some opacity to a clear top coat like shellac. I haven't tried
transtint on sharps as a toner,  but I think I might next time.

I'd try this schedule:

Transtint in alcohol as a true dye, to get some color in the wood.
Then add transtint as a toner to a polyurethane rub on finish or other
low build poly  finish.

I would only follow the alcohol dye with shellac if I were going to
spray the shellac, as brushed shellac would pull some of the alcohol dye
out of the wood in a streaking pattern.

By the way, don't mix much. Just 20  drops and a small amount of alcohol
would get you through several keyboards I think...really, that 2 oz
bottle really should almost last you the rest of your life...depending
on how old you are already, and how much denatured alcohol you have
consumed.

Might work

Jim I

--