[pianotech] Gluing Damper Felt

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sat Feb 27 18:04:36 MST 2010

Myself and Brett Dearing, installed the WNG back action into a 1955 SSL. It was one of their earlier designs and has felt bushings. I believe it has been since modified in a few ways to include the hard bushings.
The kit is very well thought out and has built into it all of the things that you would need to modify if you wanted like spoons, adjustable capstans, adjustable return springs, tray/lever pivot pin locations equal etc.
Installation was a bit different than the Renner kit but just about the same amount of work. The bonus is if you want to install capstans or spoons or move the mounting block pivot pin - it is already done for you.
Other bonuses are no more friction issues as there are no pivot pin blocks to deal with. The tray is virtually friction free, massive and probably does not require a return spring.
I will be usning them for all future retrofits.
Gene

  This is slightly off topic, but has anyone used the new WNG back action yet?  I downloaded and printed out the PDF for it, and it looks pretty sweet – individual capstans for lift, tray pivots on the same axis as the underlever flange, aluminum tray that will not warp, screw  adjustable underlever springs.  I’ve got a Steinwobbie B coming up a month or so that needs a new back action, and I am leaning  towards ordering my first WNG back action

  Will Truitt