[pianotech] 1965 Yamaha G-1

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 19:14:01 MST 2010

Greetings list:

These pictures are from a Yamaha G-1, made in 1965 which was recently donated to a church to be used in the choir room. They will have the option to spiff-up or rebuild the action, since the organist isn't sure they can come up with enough money for a new set of hammers/shanks. In the meantime, have any of you repinned greenish Yamaha action centers and did they stay free--or is it only the S&S green centers that seize up again? I wince at repinning a set of hammer flanges with end-of-life hammers on them, but something needs to be done if they aren't going to be replaced.

There are a couple splits in the high treble bridge. I was thinking of using epoxy--is there a best way of damming the sides of the cap (type of tape?) so the glue doesn't just run out?

Thanks much.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois