[pianotech] lifting anything heavy

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 26 12:09:10 MST 2010

Hi,

The week before Christmas I was contracted to put a Digital Piano Cart on a digital piano.  The piano weighs 210 pounds.  I laid the piano on its back, spaced 2" from the floor, bolted the cart to it and then stood the piano up on the cart.  Lifting the piano was no problem and all was fine until I pushed the piano away from myself to complete standing it up.  There was a big snap and I snapped the distal bicep muscle right off the bone in my left arm and pulled a piece of bone with it- nicking the nerves.  Three days later I had 2 hours of surgery to reattach the muscle and anchor it to the bone.  Two months of physical therapy later my doctor told that I will never move pianos or lift heavy objects again - if I'm smart.  As a rebuilder for 38 years, this is not what I wanted to hear - but I will comply.  Looks like the chainfall will be getting a lot more use!  He also told me that muscle tears are cumulative - they never heal- they just stop hurting.
 In other words - be careful out there and work smart- like Julia says!

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic