[pianotech] finishing a plate

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Fri Feb 26 10:37:23 MST 2010

Ron (R) writes:

It (primer) seems to work best sprayed on minimally thick, and mostly
sanded away.

Nick (N) writes:

I see. I'll give it a whirl.

RE chips and ripples R writes:

I've had the best luck with countersinks, and installing
vertical hitches, by beveling the hole edge before the final
bronze coat. With the countersinks, I use a countersink (or
rotary file) of a shallower angle to knock the top edge off.

N writes:

These are metal cutting countersinks?

R again:

For plate perimeter bolts, a small thin washer that does the
damage far enough under the lag or nut head that it doesn't show.

N asks:

Where do you get these washers? They must be unusual, requiring a large
hole, a smaller OA diameter than the lag head, yet relatively thin.

R again:

Whatever, for something utterly non-functional, plate
finishing takes up WAY too much time and generates WAY too
much angst in the process.

N writes:

Agreed! I sometimes think we shot ourselves in the foot on this one.

R:

What do you folks do about hitch pins? Do you
have birthdays while you mask and un-mask each one, or just
spray over them and blow off the chips after stringing?

N:

Like the "birthday thing" <G>. I don't care for the look of sprayed over
hitch pins, plus the new finish tends to crack and rotate on the pins
when stringing. I learned (can't remember from whom) to make player
tubing "hats" for all pins (cut them at an angle). First I wire-wheel
all pins, prep the plate, and then don the hats prior to spraying.