[pianotech] Nicks & Chips

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 10:33:38 MST 2010

Nick writes:

"Ok, Joe, now you've done it! How about some tips on chips and dips?"

Nick,
Since I do plates two ways, it's difficult to give specifics. The one way is: I do it myselft with Rattle Cans, etc. That's usually on the Uprights and lesser ilk. For those, I have the "color" ready at hand. I spray some of the finish in the cap and let it get thick. then I paint the chips, (actually Puddle the finish), multiple times. One on top of the other, not letting it completely dry. This tends to allow the finish to "melt" into the main finish. Once the desired level has been achieved, I will, some times, lightly spray some clear on the repair. This blends it in even more.<G>
I, kind of, do the same with the Grand plates. However, I usually have my refinisher do them, so I have to get the color to match away from him. If I think about it, I'll get a small bottle of the gilt from him. (just like the small bottle of touch up that you get from the Auto Paint Shops<G>) A small artist's brush, (about 30 hairs worth), is my tool of choice.
 IF I didn't get the touch up bottle for a newly sprayed plate, or....if I'm touching up an existing plate finish, then it gets more complicated. I have several rattle cans of various "gold" finishes. AND, some Mohawk Burnt Umber. Spraying in an olde Mayonaise lid and stirring and testing and blending and coloring and stirring and testing and....well, you get the ideer.
All in all, I've found that a couple of light coats of Clear, for the final, seems to make the "errors" less bad.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I