[pianotech] finishing a plate

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 09:28:46 MST 2010

I use a very light coat of primer.  Only enough to seal the bondo areas
really and give a nice flat uniform color so that I can more easily see any
chips or scratches I missed.  I agree that generally it's better to keep the
finish on the thick enough to get good coverage but otherwise on the thinner
side.  When you add the clear topcoat it can get too thick and take awhile
to really harden so as not to get marred when you lay on plate hardware.
Think about it, after refinishing a case it's usually advisable not to move
the piano for at least 3 weeks unless you want blanket imprints in the
finish.  So, it's best, if possible, to let the plate finish harden for
similar length of time before you start the stringing process especially if
you have individual aliquots.  Production schedules often make that
difficult but if it can be planned that way it's better.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com