[pianotech] finishing a plate

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 25 09:16:20 MST 2010

William asked: "Is it sacrilege to finish a plate with spray cans? If not, what product can someone suggest for a clear coat?

Also, what is acceptable to touch up the black? I have heard of people using magic markers and such. Any input would be appreciated."

William,
I have seen some really nice plates done with "rattle cans". However, I've seen a whole bunch of nasty looking plates done with "rattle cans" also. It does take some expertise and diligence. My shop teacher told us: A finish is only as good as the preparation of the surface to be finished." That is the key factor, IMNSHO!<G> I have done 2 plates that way. One that had major chemical contamination. The entire plate was sanded, (almost to the metal). Then, it was coated with Shellac. Then it was primered with a thick primer, (Black). Then wet sanded to be as soft as a baby's behind. Then, several coats of a very good Spray Paint Gold, (There are many and varied choices in this category). Lastly, the whole plate was coated with an Acrylic Clear, (don't recall the name, but that really gave the plate a "finished" look.<G>
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)