[pianotech] The much maligned Use of Lyre

RWyatt8547 at aol.com RWyatt8547 at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 11:12:20 MST 2010

I did not use the lyre to turn a grand down for  years, until a friend of
mine told me about a mover that had been moving pianos  for 30 years said
that if  he broke one  he would come and fix  it. Since then I have turned
hundreds of pianos  on the lyre and  have not found a problem if you have the
board on a dolly or boxes. some of  these pianos we have serviced for over 20
years. so I am telling you that   old dogs can learn  better or easier
tricks.

                    Rick  Wyatt

                    Dallas  Chapter

In a message dated 2/23/2010 9:02:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
deanmay at pianorebuilders.com writes:

>>I for  one, never use the lyre as a fulcrum... Bad for the knees but
better for the  piano.
Do you have test  results to back up this claim or is it just intuitive
analysis? I've seen  factories use the lyre; I've seen keyboard Carriage use
the lyre; I, myself,  have used the lyre many, many times with no problems,
especially using the  brace below (tip of the hat to John Dewey).
A modern, well  constructed lyre and keybed are very strong components. The
brace below makes  the combination bullet-proof. Using a lyre is easier on
the back leg and  definitely easier on the mover. Personally I value my back
and knees more than  any piano that I move.
If you’re not  comfortable using the lyre that’s fine, I have no problem
with that. There are  indeed some rickety lyres that I am not comfortable
using. If you want to  state it is your personal preference to not use the
lyre, I’m good with that.  But to categorically state it is bad for the piano,
do you have some research  to back up that claim? Because many reputable
movers and factories do use the  lyre.

Dean
Dean W  May                 (812) 235-5272
PianoRebuilders.com     (888) DEAN-MAY
Terre Haute  IN  47802