[pianotech] The much maligned Piano Mover

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Tue Feb 23 18:32:34 MST 2010

Greetings listees,
	Don Mannino’s recent post hit a nerve with me. Not because of what
he said directly but in the way piano movers are perceived by many
technicians. I’ll confess to having re-entered the moving field later in
life because of the condition or treatment of pianos delivered to me by many
of the local movers in my area. Not only were the pianos often mistreated
but the owners were as well. I’d just like to point out to the list that not
every mover is that way. I know that Don’s post was not meant to malign
movers specifically. Often, however, we are blamed for quite a few things
that can’t possibly be our fault. In the case of pedal lyres I believe that
if the lyre was made well enough with solid material (not “select”
hardwoods) and on the other side, not rocked down to the floor using the
lyre as a fulcrum, these problems would not exist. Many movers have been
blamed for a good many things such as cracked soundboards to bad pin blocks
and many other such maladies that we couldn’t really have damaged unless we
actually intentionally tried to.  Perhaps it was wrong of me to use Don’s
post as a jumping off point. For that I beg your forgiveness. I’d just like
to offer a different perspective. Thanks for reading

All the best,

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté
www.gregspianoforte.com