[pianotech] Kawai lyre

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 23 13:39:55 MST 2010

Barbara,

If the lyre isn’t falling apart loose, you can often follow these steps:

-          Pull the lyre apart as far as it will go

-          Insert glue of choice into gaps – thin epoxy works well

-          Press the lyre back together and clean up glue squeeze

-          Use a small hammer and a piece of wood that is smaller than the wedges, tap the wedges down tight.  The wedges are the side pieces, not the center.

-          Apply thin C/A glue around the wedges and post ends

This does a good job for a quick repair.  If the top block or lyre box are so loose as to about fall off, though, then taking it apart and getting glue throughout the entire joint is much better, of course.

When finished, do make sure that the lyre has a little force on it from the lyre braces when mounted on the piano.  By loading it slightly with pressure towards the pianist, then driving the top lyre brace screws into new holes, you will make sure that the lyre is good and stable and won’t likely wiggle in use.  Of course, a careless piano mover can still break up those glue joints again pretty quickly.

Don Mannino

(from Japan this week)