[pianotech] Kawai lyre

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 23 08:07:08 MST 2010

Hi, Barbara:
	Though I wouldn't call myself an expert, I've reglued countless legs
and lyres which were loose.  A screw through the side isn't going to
work in any case.  The diameter is too small, and it will crush the
surrounding wood so that it becomes loose again, and useless except to
prevent the lyre from falling off.  Neither will a screw driven into the
end grain from the top.  You can drill a line of holes so that the
pressure of the wedges is relieved, and then separate the pieces.  You
may also be able to simply drive the two pieces apart with a mallet and
a stick or large dowel, depending upon how loose it is.  Then you'll see
how it was constructed.  Cut a new slot and appropriate wedge(s), and
glue it up.
	Good luck.

	Paul McCloud
	San Diego