[pianotech] Wurlitzer spinet ugh

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Feb 20 22:26:22 MST 2010

Marshall,
 That is actually a pretty good action but those capstans are hard to get to.
 In the past I have manipulated a capstan wrench to get in there but it is still difficult .
 I now remove each key and turn the capstan up and replace. After a few you will get a feel for how much to turn and it goes quickly .
     The other tip is that before you touch the capstans  the rail you describe can be adjusted to take up lost motion wholesale. The silver machine screws at each bracket can be loosened (they are probably loose already) and you will also see-feel  small blued round head screws that pass through each  support bracket  and screw into the rail . Remove those .
Between  the wood rail and the action bracket are sandwiched small wood spacers that can fall out if you are not careful. There are one or two at each bracket and they are often different thickneses .
With the rail loose, push down to eliminate lost motion and tighten each machine screw making sure those spacers stay put.. I crank those machine screws pretty tight as they thread into the metal bracket and will not strip out. I chose to leave the small blued wood screws out.
This will get you close --THEN adjust capstans as described.
Hope this helps,
 Tom Driscoll

  Subject: [pianotech] Wurlitzer spinet ugh

  Hi Everyone,
  I worked on a Wurlitzer spinet today and had a question about it.  It's a serial # 506984.  I'm not sure how to adjust the lost motion on it.  The keys are not connected to the stickers, but there is this sticker rail wit screws on it that faced me as I sat at the piano.  The adjustment for the lost motion is on the keys themselves.  So my question is when I head back in six months to tune it, will I need to remove that rail in order to access the capstens?  There isn't enough room to get your finger at the end of the key with that sticker rail in the way because the key sort of slopes down.  Thanks
  Marshall