[pianotech] viennese action repair

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 10:56:00 MST 2010

Hello Bill,

  The so called  "Viennese" action you have is
most likely built by  Stein or  Walther . they  look
a lot like the same action.  The principal is the
same but there are differences.

  These actions  have only 3  (  THREE ) moving parts
IF  you count the key.  The key,  the hammer / shank
and  the hopper  ( jack).   In my opinion  they  are the
most dependable actions ever built  The jack is sprang
loaded and adjusts the let-off.  Some have a screw ad-
justment others you have to shim the jack out or in as
 needed.

  The shank is mounted on the metal " Kapsel " which is
attached  to the key.  Some say it looks like a yoke.
    I would advise not to remove the Hammer / Shank from
the Kapsel.

   The key depth is very shallow perhaps 1/4 in. and the
key touch is very light   maybe  25 - 28 grams.   The re-
petition is not very fast however it is faster than needed
by most.

   The key bushings are the most likely to need any  repair.
they need to be ( sung ) in order for the hammer not  to
wobble  while it is traveling to the string.

  If it is a Walther and you are having trouble replacing the
action into the piano--- call me.  972 - 278 -  9312  while
you are at the piano.

    There is a model of a Viennese  Walther  action in the
Foundation Museum at the Home Office.
    .

Regards,

Jack Wyatt