[pianotech] Pin Driving Fluid

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 18 22:28:00 MST 2010

Jim I. asked: "So Joe,
What goop are you using for pin driving fluid. (I have a feeling its
going to be some concoction that was readily available in 1920)"

Jim,
My gawd man, I'm not that olde!!<G> And, yes it was readily available in 1920 - 30 -40 -50 -60 -70 & 80! The original stuff, (that I still have a sample of<G>), was from Trefz Piano Supply. It was analysed and found to be the base resin that was used by paint manufacturers to make high end Marine Spar Varnish. (And, NO, I'm not talking about Man O' War, which is garbage, in that department!!) I'm talking real Spar varnish with natural resins, etc. The PDF is the base resin, BEFORE any driers or additives are added to it, that would make it Varnish. Hence, it takes a longer time to dry than regular marine spar varnish and because it is in it's base state, the additives, which will negate the effectiveness, as used in Pin Driving. (Many have tried to use Spar Varnish and have found that to be unsuitable....poppy pins, etc. Unfortunately, the company, Rodda, no longer carries the stuff, The amount that I have will probably suffice for the rest of my career. No, I'm not going to part with any of it, so don't ask. <G>
I did find a couple of substitutes. One, from Miller Paint. It is adequate, but not quite as good as the Rodda stuff. Can't remeber who the other Paint Manufacterer was.  Sorry about that.<G>
So, ....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police