[pianotech] e-mail

Brian Trout brian_trout at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 07:09:01 MST 2010

Hi Marshall,

I wasn't 100% clear on what you were having problems with in regards to Hotmal.  I use Hotmail so I'm looking at the page as I type this.

I have mine set up to put everything that comes from pianotech to go into it's own separate folder so all the posts from this list are all there, not mixed in with my regular email.  For me, that happens by creating another e-mail folder (in my case "Pianotech_Email").  Then, I click on "Opitions", "More Options", "Automatically sort e-mail into folders", "New Filter", and then selecting "From address" and "contains" in the two drop down menus, I simply put "pianotech" in the box next to them and selected the folder I want them placed into when they show up.  Click "Save" and you're done.  (My appologies if that seems way more basic than you need.  If you already know all that stuff, maybe someone who will follow will have use of it.)

When I open that folder and view the list of emails (posts), it defaults to sorting them by date, newest first, which is normally how I like to view my regular email.  If I click on the "Sort by" at the top of the list, I can sort by "Date", "From", "Subject" or "Size".  Clicking on "Subject" will sort the emails by topic.  Clicking on "From" will sort by author.  It does it all nearly instantly so it's really no problem to switch back and forth between various views.

If you're meaning that the message replies get mixed in with the messages the poster is replying to, I'm not sure there's a lot that can help that other than the way an individual replies to a post.  Some only reply and never delete any of the discussion before hand.  Others delete everything beforehand and sometimes leave us to wonder just what they're replying to.  Some will try to intersperse their comments into the previous replies of others, which can be quite difficult if emails come in plain text and without good notation of who's saying what.  I try to leave just what I'm replying to and delete the rest... though maybe I fail in that regard on occasion.

Not sure if any of that helped.  Best of luck,

Brian