[pianotech] Spoons or wippens

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 16:42:00 MST 2010

JD writes:

>>One thing I can guarantee is that if you immerse, bury or boil iron spoons in the evilest tallow you can find for five years, when you remove them you will not find a trace of Vertigris or even verdigris on them. <,

     Yes, I agree. Verdigris is only found where brass, copper material is.  I use mutton tallow on the end pins of grand actions. Nothing I have found in the trade works better or longer at keeping them quiet.  After a year or two, the brass plates in the cheekblocks showed small stains of , you guessed it, green.  The exact same color as the verdigris.  There was no coloration on the steel pins though.
   I think verdigris is copper oxide, iron wouldn't react like that.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

=